Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Oregon Trail - Day 12

We were up early and on the road after covering 272 miles yesterday.  We traveled up the Pacific coast and made our first stop at Dunes National Park somewhere near Reedsport, Oregon.  The hike down through the dunes to the ocean was a real dilly of about a half mile.  Because of the mesh in the top of my shoes, I had to stop three times to dump about three tablespoons of sand out of each shoe.  There was little room in there for my toes.  But, the walk was well worth it.  The surf was almost deafening and very high.  The sand was beautiful and snow white. 

We were walking the beach and all of a sudden Mike picked up something on the beach and showed it to Kit.  She gave a squeal and fell flat backward on the sand.  Of course we all thought Mike was going to have to make a fast get away to the dunes to get away from Kit when she finally got herself together.  How would this make you feel?  Longest snake I have ever seen.  But was it really a dead snake? 





As we made our way back over the dunes Kit and I were talking about how nice it is that Oregon doesn't have many snakes.  At that very moment we came upon the following.


Needless to say, we were all doing some jitterbuggin in the sand.  I am sure it was not a bad snake, but definitely not a good one.  It was small, but it was also alive.

After lunch at Mo's in Florence we saw the sea lions on the rocks near the Hecta Light House.  They will winter in the Sea Lions Cave, but were all out in the nice warm sun while we were there.  The surf was just slamming into the rocks where dozens of the young sea lions were trying over and over again to jump up on the rocks to sun with the older ones.  If you look closely you can see them in the water right in the middle of the picture.  The noise from the sea lions barking even drowned out the noise from the big surf.  I would really hate to live near the coast where sea lions live.  It would be like living in a dog pound.  I think they were just barking to hear themselves bark - like a dog we once had.

I don't know if you can see all of them very well, but it really was an amazing sight.




Marmalade's Side of the Story

Today was just about the best yet.  First of all there was no rain since we got to Oregon.  I was beginning to mold from all the rain on the trip to Oregon.  Just look how great I look getting a tan on the Pacific beach. 



After we walked all the way up to the Hecta Light House (I get a free ride in Nonnie's backpack) we took mountains of sunset pictures on the beach.  I don't know who takes more pictures - Nonnie or Aunt Kit.  Anyway, it was lots of fun and I got to watch all the birds flying around looking for little fish, I guess.  Thank goodness they were not looking for little furry giraffes.   Baker and Sidney, can you see me on the driftwood at sunset? 


The best part of the day was camping at a park near the beach where we could hear the waves crashing and getting to sit by the fire and drink hot chocolate.  Nonnie even let me have my own chair and Aunt Kit let me snuggle in her moose blanket.  The only thing missing was my snuggy, buggy Sidney.  I don't think we are ever going to go home.  I miss you, Sidney.  More adventures tomorrow.

1 comment:

4mckenzies said...

Good heavens at all the sea lions!!