Friday, October 29, 2010

The Oregon Train - Day 15

This is day five or our RV odyssey and we are leaving Washington and headed back to Oregon looking for waterfalls and the Columbia River along the Lewis and Clark Scenic Highway 30.  We visited the Vista House which was made of marble and stained glass.  It was beautiful and a great view of the Columbia River.  The walk to several beautiful waterfalls made me realize just what poor shape I am in.  I was huffing and puffing like the Mexican train was last night. 




We drove the "Fruit Loop Drive" which was a section of Oregon where there are constant fruit orchards and grape vineyards for miles and miles.  Oregon is just full of wineries and wine tasting places.  No tasting for us.  We are on a mission to get to the mountain before dark.

The Bonneville Locks and Dam was interesting, but probably the most interesting thing I took away from the place was the lady whose job was counting the fish and record what type fish swim through the fish ladders.  Who could have even thought of a job like that.  She sits in a dark room looking at a glass window where all the fish going up the Columbia River at this point have to swim by her window.  She gets a ten minute break every hour and they average out the time with what she has already counted.  Talking about having to drink a power drink every day to stay awake at work.  They also had a fish hatchery and we fed the salmon.  Very cool. 

We left the Columbia River area and headed for Mt. Hood.  The Timberline Lodge at Mt. Hood was very pretty.  Supper was very nice and relaxing while we watched as they groomed the ski slope on Mt. Hood and also got to see the sunset on the mountain.   They have skiing year round at Mt. Hood. 





And so our RV trip ended about 9:00p.m. and a total of 1,025 miles!  We saw so many beautiful, interesting things.  This truly is a gorgeous country!

Marmalade's Side of the Story

OK, it is final.  RV'ing is GREAT!!!  Those dogs are the best travel buddies and yes Bella likes me best!



I almost blew into the Bridal Veil Falls in the big wind.  Whee, what fun.  I got to sit on the wall and I felt like I was going to fly away.  That wind surely was messing up my fur.  Uncle Mike even let me ride on the RV dash part of the way.  I bet Rocky and Bella were jealous.




Boppie liked to carry me up the long trail and everybody we saw thought I was so cute.  I could tell because they all just looked and looked at me and didn't even notice that he was too old to be having a baby giraffe in his coat.  They thought he was the best grandpa ever because he was carrying his granddaughter's giraffe.


I surely did have a great time,  but I surely was glad to get back to Aunt Kit's house.  Oh yea, Sidney and Baker, I still like to play with you guys more than with Rocky and Bella.  Don't tell them I said that.  

2 comments:

4mckenzies said...

Well Marmalade, we sure missed you while you were gone!!! Love, Baker & Sidney!!!

Nonnie said...

I want to go home!!!! Come get me.