Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Oregon Trail - Day 8

What a wonderful morning!!!  We survived the night and it was soooooo exciting.  Great memories and funny stories. 

My hair was sticking up like a rooster comb after wallowing around in that anchored kite all night and getting wet several times and then having it blown dry by the hurricane force winds.  Hair gel does funny things when you wet it then twist around like a spinning top on it for ten hours!  I definitely was a peach this morning!!  I wanted to wear a paper bag over my head all day after seeing my reflection in a rest stop mirror.  Oh well, they did not know me and I was reallllllllly glad.

We got to see the buffalo up very close this morning and also the mule deer before leaving the island.  Our first stop was the local Syracuse, Utah Wal-Mart store.  Tent repair supplies were needed.  Of course I do not need to say that it rained off and on all day as it has for almost a week now.  We saw lots of agricultural crops along the roadside - sugar beets, fruit trees, raspberries.  Lots of wind turbines too.  They were really spinning in the heavy winds.  They must reallllllly be serious about alternative energy around these parts.

Another night in the motel for us at Ontario, Oregon.

Marmalade's Side of the Story

The buffalo were pretty impressive after all.  I felt very small when that thing just looked at me up close and personal.   I don't think buffalo like giraffes very much.  He gave me a loud snort.  My heart (the one in my foot) was just pounding.  Nonnie was excited as well.  She gets excited about most anything.  I am not so impressed with the rest of Utah.  I miss my snuggy, buggy Sidney, but not quite as much in the motel as in the car last night.  No pictures tonight.

No comments: