Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Oregon Trail - Day 13

Bop and I got up early and walked down to the ocean.  The trail through the rainforest to the shore was like nothing I had ever seen before.  Absolutely eerie!  It almost looked like the trees should have faces on them or they had been decorated for Halloween. 


We stopped at Cape Perpetua - huge pounding waves in a very craggy, rocky type cove.  Scary place.  Bop was standing just feet from those huge waves.  I was afraid he was going to get washed over by a stray wave.  Oh yes, I am a worry wart! 

We met a young couple who now live in Salt Lake City, but both graduated from BHS in 1997.  I did not recognize their parents' names.  Small world.   They introduced themselves and asked us where we were from because they immediately recognized we must be from Mississippi.  You just can't disguise southern.


We spent most of the afternoon at the aquarium in Newport, Oregon.  We walked through tunnels under the water where we could just look up and on all sides and see the fish swimming around us.  Very interesting.  One of the prettiest things we photographed was the jellyfish.  It brought back horrible memories of a trip to Florida when I was much younger than I am now.  I got in a whole group of jellyfish and got stings all over my legs.  Pain, pain, pain.  That is about all I can say about that!! 



We visited the Yaquina Bay Lighthouse which was built in 1871 and was the first one in this area of the Pacific coast.  Next we moved away from the coast a bit and traveled through dairy/cheese country.  Very different area. 

We traveled all afternoon and listened to the radio broadcast of the rescue of the Chilean miners who had been trapped in the mine for 69 days.  Miraculously, they were everyone rescued safely.  Remarkable.




Marmalade's Side of the Story

Well, I am going to have to rethink what I said a few days earlier about liking this RV'ing.  Today was rough.  Nonnie made me sit on some really scary rocks by the rough water.  Then she carried me all over the aquarium in that backpack and didn't even let me see the fish.  I surely was glad to get to the camp and sit by the campfire again.  And wouldn't you know, I didn't even get any hot chocolate this time. 



I hear Mt. St. Helens is tomorrow.  I can't wait.

2 comments:

4mckenzies said...

Now exactly what are the odds that you two meet people from Brandon, MS in OREGON?!! Good grief!

Nonnie said...

Baker, I just figured out how to answer your comments. Glad you liked all the sea lions. They were VERY, VERY loud. Maybe if we ever go back to Oregon you could go with us. You probably would have liked the tent. How about you come spend the night in the tent with us in the back yard?