Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Oregon Trail

We have started the adventure which I like to think of as my retirement hurrah!!!  We are on the Oregon Trail to see Sister and making memories and funny stories along the way. 

Friday morning went remarkably well, considering the harrowing, frustrating day I had Thursday trying to get UPS to see things my way.  Didn't happen.  I do understand rules and regulations, but I was a frustrated Nonnie trying to help out a desperate housewife in Germany.  As it turned out, nothing changed, a half of the day was wasted, and yes, William's birthday present will be really really late.  Thanks, Tonya, for getting things worked out the only way we could. 

A great time was had all day just driving, soaking up the nice autumn weather and bright sunshine, and picnicing our way across Louisiana and half of Texas to Lake Arrowhead State Park.  When 7:30 p.m. gets here the sun goes somewhere else and it gets quite dark, fast!  Now the first problem was that we have a new tent which we had only erected one time previously and that was in the bright light of our living room.  We had three of those new earth saving LED flashlight type items, which are supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread.  Well, I beg to differ.  It was like working by the light of thirteen matches.  Keep in mind that mosquitos love me and the little gnat like bugs looked like rice being thrown at a big wedding.   Being the expert campers we are (but not since 1981) we managed to get that puppy erected in short order and didn't even poke anybody's eye out with those long tent poles.  Feeling confident, we pulled out the blow-up mattress and the air pump and adapter to use in the car so you can have electricity.  I can blow more air than that thing could muster.  No mattress tonight. 

Our nearest campsite neighbors cooked on the industrial size barbie attached to his pull-behind trailer until about 11:30 which made me really hungry while I was tossing and turning on the ground.  All their teenage children , which filled three tents, finally went to bed about 1:00 a.m. and then we went to sleep on our pallet.  Do you know what happens when retirees sleep on a pallet?  There was not a part of me that didn't hurt when my feet hit the cold tent floor as I hunched over and fell over the tent door boobie-trip.  If you have ever tent camped, you know what I mean.  Actually we did sleep well until the local gaggle of geese from the lake all awoke at the same time and flew overhead making goose noises all at the same time.  Time to get up now!!! 

Thus the first night of camping was over and all day Bop and I were both laughing about the whole thing .  Got to find a Wal-Mart and get a better converter for that mattress.  We headed toward Wichita Falls, Texas on the back roads.  Interstates are so boring!


Marmalade's Side of the Story



So, I guess the big trip is fun, but I have been riding in this car for a long, long, long time.  I am trying to not ask "Are we there yet," but it is really hard.  I miss my drama queen, Cheerio, Sidney.

Do you know that the Mississippi River Bridge at Vicksburg is long and very high over the water.  It connects the states of Mississippi and Louisiana together. 


I was sitting in a mesquite tree at Lake Arrowhead State Park in Texas watching the sunrise.    Do you see me?  The water level was really down low because they have not had much rain in a very long time.  It was cold out there watching those loud geese in the water, but Nonnie loves sunsets and sunrises and takes pictures ALL the time.  Lake Arrowhead is at Bowie, Texas. 

Baker and Amber, can you find the Mississippi River, and the states of Louisiana and Texas on the map? 

Lights out.

1 comment:

4mckenzies said...

Baker's already gone to school but Sidney LOVED seeing Marmalade! She said "marmeled"! Too cute! She didn't really get the whole map thing but we'll check it out w/ Baker when he gets home from school. We are off to the foot doc w/ Sidney.
Love yall!