Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Oregon Train - Day 4

I am where I can get internet service so am trying to get caught up on the trip.  Sorry about the typo's.  I am still trying to get this bloggin thing figured out and to bed at a respectable hour and things don't always work like I want them to.  My fingers aren't typing what my mind is thinking.  I am plum tuckered out, my fanny feels like a car seat, and I have writer's block or traveler's overload. 

On the fourth day, Monday, we got an early start from Flagstaff, Arizona headed to the Grand Canyon South Rim.  The rain that fell during the night seemed to be gone and the drive up Highway 89 (the historic old Route 66 Highway) was very picturesque.  The first stop we made along the Scenic View Drive at the Navajo View was very impressive for us flatlanders.  They even had Christmas ornaments for sale at the little flea/craft markets lining the entrance.  They were made of the native clay from the area by the Navajo Indians.  Of course I had to have one for my collection.  I may have to have an extra tree this year just to hold all my ornaments from the places we are going. 

Anyway, the GC park ranger warned us at the entrance to the Grand Canyon that a cold front and bad weather were moving in.  He was not kidding.  We no more than got started walking along the rim when the wind started blowing 30 or more miles per hour and blowing rain. Then as quick as it started, it would quit.  This went on all day.  One time it even hailed enough to pile up along one of the safety walls where we had to walk.  The GC was astonishingly amazing and some of the pictures with the wicked clouds in the background are really outstanding.   Isn't that an awsome rain storm just on the mountain peak in front of us?  It hit us in about five minutes and packed a wallup of wind and rain.  I would not have traded the clouds for the sun for anything.   It felt like we were storm chasing. 

When we had taken pics of every angle of every site, we finally left the GC and drove north almost to the Utah border to the town of Page.  It is a beautiful little town right on the Colorado River, Lake Powell and the Glen Canyon Dam.  We actually got to do a "little" rock climbing up on the bluff above the river and dam.  The rain was supposed to be with us all night again so we found a motel room and made it a night.  It ended up raining all night.



Marmalade's Side of the Story

The Grand Canyon was just like Nonnie said it was, but it surely was hard to hang on to all those crazy places I had my picture taken in all that rain.  I needed my Sidney snuggy buggy to be there to hold me down.  I almost blew away again today.  This time even I was not laughing.   We are going to see more of the Grand Canyon tomorrow.  Yippee!!!

Amber and Ashley do you know where the Grand Canyon is on the map?

1 comment:

4mckenzies said...

We are just now getting to day 4. Baker is still puzzled as to why Marmalade is with yall. :)
He calls her "Nermlade". It's kinda funny to hear.

He does not have much to say tonight. Until next time! We miss you guys!! Tell Aunt Kit & Uncle Mike "Hello!" for us.