Sunday, March 12, 2023

AH, EARLY SPRING

Only the beginning of March and spring is bursting out all over.  The birds are just flirting and flitting and chirping all through the trees.  Mrs. Robin sits low on the branch looking for Mr. Right or a new country home.  Maybe I should help her out with the new home.  So I set about making a couple of new single family dwellings.  A great chance to use my newly acquired garage sale power tools.  Hopefully a lady bluebird will find this one worthy of habitation this year.


The pieces of old cedar fence Johnny salvaged last week were perfect.  I liked the chippy grey paint.  The tree limb made a good landing and the circle drilled out for the front door made a nice handle to open the clean out door on the side.  The roof is slats Johnny cut for me from an old piece of firewood.  The wood was pretty and very close grained so it should last a number of years.  It just looked like something that was better than firewood.  The hinge was salvaged from my kitchen cabinets we replaced last year.  I guess this makes it a "green" blue birdhouse. 


Then the idea hit me as I threw away the half gallon milk carton - could that become a birdhouse?  By golly I think it would make a cute one if covered with duct tape.  Zebra print with pink, colored beaded wire to hang it from and a door that can open for cleaning and viewing the babies, yep that sounds like a plan to me.  Here is the little house I hung yesterday afternoon.  I used industrial strength/indoor/outdoor velcro for closing the clean out door.  I hope the duct tape and velcro hold up to the elements.  We shall see.  Since we live in a pine thicket, the pine tree pollen lightly dusts every possible surface this time of year; if only it were gold dust.  The pink on the birdhouse will look really disgusting in just a few days.  I guess the rain will eventually wash the house clean again.   


I like the industrial look of the machine bolt perch.  Johnny's contribution.

The beautiful yellow jasmine winding and swaying from so many of the pines, leaving a blanket of beautiful sunshine yellow petals on the pine straw carpet loudly heralds the coming early spring. 

   
Every day brings us closer to the scorching heat and humidity of garden time.  Each season in Mississippi is a wonderful blessing.

1 comment:

4mckenzies said...

I like the birdhouses. I wish I could see the beads on the hanger of the zebra striped one better...
Nice bird pic, too! :)