Sunday, March 12, 2023

IT'S BEEN A LONG DRY SPELL!

OK, so it really has been a long dry spell, but the juices are beginning to flow again.  Though I haven't had much to say, I have been quite busy the last few months.  Summer with my youngest grandson Baker took up much of my blogging time (goofing off time) but was well worth every minute of it.  I wouldn't have missed it for the world.  Besides building things like tool boxes and repairing bird feeders, we played school every day and he hit the baseball and I chased it.  He got better at batting and I got a sore arm and sweated (I mean perspired) off a couple of pounds.  We giggled a lot and talked about the wild animals and birds in the back yard.  We did enough rough-housing to keep me black and blue.  The local church ladies probably think I am married to a wife beater.  Just a little young buck playing with his granny.  Anyway, he is in school now and I am back to my crafting and animal watching, instead of cleaning and cooking like I probably need to be.

My latest venture is recycling old blue jeans and other fabrics into usable things.  Right now I am making Christmas stockings.  Maybe I will be able to sell a few in a little local shop.  We will just have to see how it goes.  My craft room (guest bedroom) is waist high in piles of cut-up jeans.  It reminds me of the summers when I was about 15 and took the scissors to all my pants the day school was out for summer and made them into "Daisy Dukes."  I don't have the legs for it now, but man those were the days!  Looking back, I probably 'bout gave my mama a heart attack. 



 
"Denim Green" is what I call myself.  You know, denim - recycled jeans and such,  and green for recycling, environmental stuff and all that type of political correctness.  Lots of fun to make something cute out of old worn out useless jeans.

WESTWARD HO!

Johnny and I are again going to check out some of the beautiful USA.  First we plan to visit Iowa and see if there are any sane people left in the wake of the wave of politicians.  It is bad enough that I get an average of three political calls per week here in the deep south, and we are not even a swing state. I have had my mind made up for years now, and I don't want to even discuss it with somebody I don't know.  The choices have never been so clear.  I see the change we got three plus years ago and am frightened at the thought of another four of the same.  Sorry about the soap box, but I love our country, and I am grieved at the direction it is headed.

Anyway, after visiting our daughter, son-in-law and grandson in Iowa we will head west toward Zion National Park in Utah.  How far we go really depends upon the weather, because we are going to try to do as much tent camping as possible.  I know, I know, most people think we are totally insane, but we love it.  Nothing like listening to the wild animals howl and hoot during the night, and to just look up at the sky and see stars forever in all directions.  Hopefully the bears are well fed this time of year and won't be paying us much attention, and the rattlesnakes will be a bit sluggish under the fall leaves.  Sounds enticing, now doesn't it?  

Til later.

2 comments:

4mckenzies said...

Nice names. :) Love the stockings!

Nonnie said...

Thanks. Hope lots of other folks do too. Having a great time. Will post as often as I can. Hugs and kisses to all.