Sunday, March 12, 2023

MAY IN MISSISSIPPI

Seems the month of May is a little like a teenage girl this year, beautiful and lovely one moment and cold and nasty the next.  Thankfully, all the rain we have received the last few weeks will prove very beneficial for all of us during the hot dry summer months.  Thanks be to God for every drop he has given us here in Mississippi.  I can't help but think of all the areas of the US west of the Mississippi we have traveled through the last couple of years which are in a state of drought. 

I'll share just a few pics from the beautiful Mothers Day weekend.  No pictures of Johnny's mom this time.  She wasn't feeling her best and not really up to the moment.  Nothing serious; just a painful visit from "Arthur Ritis."  One of those bad Ritis boys.  We took Mamaw out for lunch and enjoyed visiting with old acquaintances we had not seen for many many years.  I think she enjoyed it too, but maybe she enjoyed the yard work we did for her after lunch a whole lot more.  When Mamaw's yard is groomed and full of flowers she is one happy lady.  She has green thumbs and can almost grow a pencil.

 Coreopsis and daisies

Bluebird feeding her babies in the old house Johnny and I made and put up in Mamaw's yard many years ago.

This is Mamaw's back yard with the t-post from her old clothes line still visible.  I wish I had a clothes line in my backyard to dry sheets in the warm sun.  I'll have to work on that. 

We were watching the neighborhood cat as she crept up on our four-month-old puppy, Lulu.  Notice the Mockingbird easing up behind the cat.  Eventually the bird got close enough to pull the hair on her tail.  The cat leapt straight up and around and mama bird barely got away unscathed.

After a few minutes the cat got close enough to take a hair raising stand against Lulu.  Johnny was using brute strength to keep Lulu in check.  Eventually a bit of fur did fly and the cat made a hasty retreat.  Fun to watch the interaction.

 "That cat caused it.  I was just visiting Mamaw.  Now, don't I look innocent?"


Below is the baby Mockingbird the mama bird was trying to protect.  We didn't even know the nest was in the shrub until we trimmed the shrubs around the house and nearly destroyed the nest.  Mama Mockingbird was having a tizzy!

 A close look at Anthony Waterer Spirea.

Vetch blooms look like purple and blue knee socks hanging on a clothes line.  Granddaughter Sidney would love to have this many purple knee socks to wear with her rolled up pants legs.  Better still, if they had bling on them.

We had such a nice time visiting with Mamaw on Mother's Day.  I'm so blessed to have a wonderful mother-in-law to enjoy.  My mom went to be with Jesus so many years ago.  It's been so long, I don't so much miss her anymore.  It is more like I remember her and the things that remind me of her.  Sweet memories! 

1 comment:

4mckenzies said...

Sidney would LOVE all those flowers & knee socks... lulu did look innocent...