Sunday, March 12, 2023

LAST DAY OF SCHOOL

Officially, this was the last day of school for the 2011-2012 school year.  WooHoo!!!.  Unofficially, yesterday was the last school day for my kindergartner, turned 1st grader, grandson Baker and today was the first day of summer to babysit his grandmother - me.  We had a high-ho time.  At least I did. 

He is a funny kid and such a hard worker with a wonderful imagination.  He worked diligently for several hours on a construction project in my back yard where he was "installing a new playground for a new school."  That meant digging a LARGE hole in the yard.  All the while I was just as diligently de-spidering the swings that already exist in my backyard.  He CANNOT stand spiders!!!!   If he is ever going to get on that swing again, there cannot be one hint of the dreaded spider web in sight.  I have been researching every spider repellent/destroyer/spray known to man, so I am armed to the teeth to defend Baker and his construction workers.

Off course mommy sent him to me this a.m. in a new pair of shorts and new tennis shoes.  I, of course, live in a pine thicket full of bugs and mud, and I had a full day of sawing and painting planned for us.  So, he graciously put on one of my big button up shirts over his clothes (he looked like a poor little orphan child in an ugly dress), and we painted away the morning.  Watch out yard sales.  I need some old broken in, cheap clothers for this boy.  Since he had on the new shoes and was slinging paint to the four winds, I had him take off the shoes and socks.   It will take all three months of summer to make those little soles country tough. 

While he sawed and painted, I was having a great time myself making a serving tray out of some old shutters I got from a friend years ago.  The handles were made from an old spoon and a piece of metal Johnny and I found, when walking up and down our road for exercise in the evenings.  I have a whole bucket of found objects that I like to attach to my birdhouses and such.  My grands just roll their eyes at me.   You know the look.


I am still trying to decide if I would like to have some little feet on it.  Maybe.

This pretty little caterpillar was on one of my butterfly milk weed flowers.



 Hug your children as often as you can and let them know how special they are to you and to God.

1 comment:

4mckenzies said...

I'm glad Baker can babysit you this summer. He sure is enjoying his "Nonnie Time"! Thank goodness Sidney gets to swim at school or she might be a tad bit upset that Baker gets to go out there everyday!