Sunday, March 12, 2023

OUT YONDER

Today was a beautiful cold Monday morning and the house just could not contain me.  As soon as it warmed up just a tad, the gloves and jacket were thrown on and I was headed for the woods when I halted at the sight of a handful of deer right in the back yard.  They gave me a good look and went on about their business.  After peering for a while through binoculars I reached for my camera and got this pic through the back door.  We have been watching these babies off and on since they were just a few days old.  You can easily see that one of the twins is a little buck who is getting little nubby antlers.






Finally I hit the woods with camera and feed bucket in hand.  The birds are eager for my clean water in the tray and a good dose of fresh seed in the feeders.  Actually, when I got out there, there were birds all over the ground picking up the bits of candy that were blown all over the back yard when Johnny and the grandkids blew up the Thanksgiving gingerbread houses on New Years Eve.  We enjoyed the mayhem and noisy celebration, and now the redbirds are making the most of the M&M's and jelly beans.  I hope chocolate and sugar isn't harmful to birds.  I know it is harmful to me - BIG HIPS you know.

Anyway, when I checked on the big red mushrooms out yonder in the woods, they were still there and even prettier today than yesterday.  Some of them have even been out there since December 22nd.  They are beginning to look a little ragged, but still make an interesting subject.






Just when I finished my walk I spotted an unusual looking twig and there was a yukky "nest" of some type of insect or spider eggs.  Maybe it is a bit yukky, but nature is always interesting and worthy of being snapped.


It's a pretty nice looking curly vine, even with the spider webs.  I just never know what I might find out yonder.  

No comments: