Sunday, March 12, 2023

A SERENDIPITY DAY

For those of us who are squeamish about outdoorsy critters and things, this might seem a bit yuck; but to me, a country southern belle, it was a serendipity day.  That is to say, a day for "making a fortunate discovery accidentally."  Just quoting the old college Webster's dictionary.

I was having a leisurely lunch in the cool breeze of spring while swinging in the back porch swing when I heard some type of scratching noise nearby.  Of course when I stopped the swing and the squeaky gentle rhythm of the swing stopped, so did the scratching noise.  I started swinging and it started again, etc. 

Finally after contemplating the possibility of Lady Wren from last year returning to raise another brood in the metal can hanging on the wall near my head, I got up and gently took the can down so I could get a peek inside.  To my surprise it was a bird alright, but not Lady Wren - it was a BATTTTTTTT.  It had big red eyes and long fingers and, as sure as shootin, was going to fly right out of that can and latch on to my nose and suck all my blood out!!!!!! 

Remarkably I managed not to throw the can and to quickly put it back on the nail on the wall.  Bat still inside!!!!!

Just because I can't let anything interesting go unrecorded in my journal or scrapbook, I went and got the camera.  It made sense to me that he was sleeping because it was high noon and I think bats only fly about in the dark or dusk, so I gingerly took the can back down (away from my face, just in case) and took a couple of pics. 


He was in the big can on top.


Sorry about the trash in the bottom of the can.  It just isn't one of those things that gets cleaned out very often.   Sort of like my house sometimes.

After church and choir practice tonight I was telling Johnny about the events of the day and decided to just make sure that the bat had flown away in the dark; but there it was still in the bottom of the can.  I was so sad.   I had thought it wanted to stay in there, but it must have been scratching around trying to get out.  Johnny thought the sides of the can were too slick for it to get out of, even though bats can hang on sides of caves and places like that. Nothing to do but pour him out and see if I could revive him.  He didn't seem so scary all limp and not looking at me with bright red eyes.  They seemed all dull and pitiful now.



He looked all messed up.  I went back in the house to get my camera and when I came out I took lots of pics and decided that he wasn't going to make it.   He was looking straight at me.  His legs, wings, hands, feet, claws or whatever looked all gnarled and messed up.  I was very sad.  He is a hairy little rascal and quite interesting looking, don't you think.  Nothing for me to do now, but turn out the lights and get ready for bed. 

Just one more peek at the poor little thing before brushing my teeth.  WOW, it flew away!!!!!  Yippee!!!!  I think a little fresh air and total darkness was all he needed.  It was a fun serendipity day.

No comments: