Sunday, March 12, 2023

LAST DAY OF SUMMER/FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL

My oh my, I am about to embark on the first day of the rest of my summer tomorrow without my young sidekick, Baker.  It will be his first day of school.  He is the talkative, first grader with the new crew cut hair and a brand-spanking-new Darth Vader lunch box.  What more could you ask for on this your first day of school? 

BUILDING HIS TOOL BOX

He has baby sat me all summer.  We went and got his first library card and learned how to find cool books about construction, had a picnic lunch in the park where he met some new friends, and lots of other fun things, but the best thing he told me he did was to use the power tools and build a wooden tool box.   That boy worked himself into a weepy puddle using a hand saw to cut the handle for his box.  The Mississippi heat index that day was at 110 degrees and there was not a dry thread or hair on his little body when the chunk of wood finally hit the floor.  We ended up building the box around the piece of wood he managed to get cut off.

After I pre-drilled all the holes, he nailed the whole box together and only "bammed" his finger one real good time.  No tears, and he wore that blood like a badge of courage.  He never failed to remind me that you always wear your safety gear.


Now there is a construction man!


BUILDING HIS FAITH

We were in dire need of rain several weeks ago, and I was saying grace before we ate our lunch out side on the back porch.  I asked God to please send us some rain and please send about an inch, because we needed it so badly.  Just a bit later it started to thunder and we got just under an inch of rain in just a few minutes.  Baker just could not quit talking about how God heard us ask for the rain.

Much to our dismay, it continued to rain for most of the next two weeks.  After quite a few days of non-stop rain, he came in with his mom early one morning, looked at me, put his hands on his hips, and said, "Nonnie, you need to pray to God again and tell him to stop all that raining and stop it right now!  We only ordered one inch of rain."  I can't help but chuckle every time I think about what he said.

We are again in need of rain, so this afternoon, our last day of summer baby sitting together, as we sat in the swing on the back porch having our mid afternoon snack, he looked at me and said I needed to pray for some more rain.  It had been thundering off in the distance for about an hour.  I told him to bow his head and we would do that.   I asked God for a nice shower and then I asked God to bless Baker as he goes to school this next school year.  When I opened my eyes, he was really staring off into the sky thinking about all I had said, I think.  All of a sudden he jumped off the swing, walked out into the yard for a bit and came running back to the porch and said, "Nonnie, here comes the rain.  I felt a drop on my head."   And so it did.  God is so good.

I think Baker is going to have a good year.  Watch out Mrs. Edwards; he'll talk your hind legs off.


Our pink Angel Trumpet has been just beautiful, in spite of the hot, dry summer.

No comments: