Sunday, March 12, 2023

TIME IN IOWA

Such a wonderful time of year to be on the road enjoying the luscious weather and beautiful fall colors.  Because of my desire to see the countryside, we decided to get off the interstate and take a more direct highway from St. Louis to Bettendorf.  Big mistake!

Fall in the midwest prairie of America means harvest time on a huge scale.  There must be more tractors than lawn mowers in Illinois.  About two miles up our short-cut highway we screeched to a near standstill as we came up behind a Godzilla sized combine crawling up the road.


                  the "slow" combine

After following him for 20 minutes (never mind the 10,022 cars backed up behind him) we could finally pass and wouldn't you know, there was his son driving a truck with the huge attachment to the combine on a trailer.  Finally, he turned off the highway and headed for home, and just as we let out a sigh of relief, we entered a tiny little town where the speed limit was 35 mph.  We were defeated.  Now the GPS told us it would be 2:15 a.m. when we arrived in Iowa.  No Way!  We would have to find a place to bed down for the night.  Do they have camp grounds in the middle of a corn field?  I knew I hadn't seen a motel for at least 100 miles. Ugh!

After noting there was no quick way to get back to the interstate, almost immediately a state park sign appeared out of nowhere.  Thank you, Jesus.  The moon was full and beautiful at Beaver Dam State Park, temps were cool and crisp and we got an outstanding night's sleep.  We heard raccoons during the night just outside our tent flap trying to figure out how to get in our cooler and some animal of prey came roaring through the campground with its catch during the early morning hours.  That really got my attention, but oh so much better than the Holiday Inn.

Sunday afternoon we finally arrived in Iowa.  After doing the family thing for a bit, Joe showed us Rock Island Arsenal, and we had lunch in Moline at the River House Bar and Grill right next to the John Deere showroom.  Amber and Baker, you would have loved all the huge John Deere equipment.  Baker, the first thing I saw was a giant feller buncher and I thought of you.  Aunt Paige was impressed that you had taught me what a feller buncher is.  I was impressed when I saw how gigantic it was to stand beside.


                       the feller buncher

Today Paige, Johnny and I got to tour Antique Archeology from the American Pickers TV show, and we went to Danielle's business which is just across the street - 4 Miles 2 Memphis.  Of course Mike, Frank and Danielle were not there, but it was interesting to see their places.  Not at all what I had expected.  The Danielle "stand-in" said that Mike is on his honeymoon.


                                                                    Antique Archeology


                      4 Miles 2 Memphis


LeClaire is really a pretty, old town right on the Mississippi River.

Paige and John are at their class tonight learning to make a stained glass window.  Bop and Joe went to Home Depot. They are all geared up to make Joe a work desk.  Sammy and Katy Kitty are baby sitting me.   When I move, Sammy bars her teeth and makes a throaty growling noise.  She gave me the "you stay down there on that end of the couch and I'll stay up here and I promise I won't chew your leg off" look.   Yikes!

P.S. by Marmalade:

Sidney, I got to ride all day in Aunt Paige's big yellow purse and everybody thought I was so cute.  I even got to wear a cowboy hat and tutu yesterday, but they wouldn't let me shop in it today.  They are for Sammy to wear.  I think she looks silly, but I look cute in them.  What do you think?


                                                              wearing only a cowboy hat


                 in the fedora and tutu


     Sammy in her tutu and cowboy hat


I am having fun here, but that lazy Katy Kitty thinks Nonnie should rub her under the chin all the time.  I have to make sure she doesn't come home with us.  She really likes Nonnie and even got up in the bed and slept with her.

Night snuggy, wuggy Sidney.   I miss you.  I'll write again soon.


     

1 comment:

4mckenzies said...

Nonnie, I have one of those feller bunchers at work! I'll teach you how to drive it if you want... And how to use it.
Sidney was asleep when we read it, she still asks about Marmy... Hurry home soon, we have some ice cream cake to eat!